Sunday 30 August 2015

Gear Review - Berghaus Women's Scafell Hydrodown™ Jacket

Frosty morning in May at Cheddar day 16

Brand- Berghaus
Cost- £160.00 to £112.00 
Distance-  1200 Miles


Day 1- Land's End
"Stay warmer, drier and more comfortable than those wearing standard down on your next hike with the water resistant Women’s Scafell Hydrodown Jacket.
The Scarfell is constructed from lightweight, water resistant and highly wind resistant AF fabric and insulated with our innovative 600 fill water resistant Hydrodown this results in a versatile and packable insulation layer with a space on all your trail adventures."
Weight (approx.): 348g

  • Protection from the worst conditions is achieved with the high wind resistance of the AF fabric and the innovative water resistant 600 fill Hydrodown
  • Essentials can be kept close at hand in the two concealed zipped hand warmer pockets
  • A comfortable fit is ensured with the stretch bound cuffs and draw cord hem adjustment

  This was my first down jacket and I was bawled over at how light, compact and warm it was. I wore it out and about before the walk in early February and found myself warm, breathable and flexible. When scrunched up it became tiny and at 348g weighed the same as a summer T-shirt. A perfect coat for winter walking and carrying through summer months to wear at night. I barely wore it during the daytime as it would have been far too warm but at night time it was imperative. A few nights in early May reached 0 degrees and even in a 4 season (relative cheap) sleeping bag I needed this coat to get some rest. Even in July it was a perfect shield from the night's chill, and comfortable enough to sleep in. The pockets in particular are genius, surprisingly big and seeming to warm my hands instantly. When it was warm enough for me to sleep in only a T-shirt I used it was a pillow. 
Day 72- JOHN O"GROATS!!!
  For 70 days I carried it with me, this alone shows it's value. Figure wise it is as flattering as it can be, I still look like a round tube wearing it but mainly because I'm round enough to begin with. The zips are tiny but reliable, while the collar is soft around the neck and a good size. My rain coat goes over it comfortably, the sleeves are elasticated and insulating. Even in heavy rain and when wet it dried very quickly keeping me warm and the moisture away from my skin. As for durability- it survived Land's End to John o'Groats and looks the same at the finish line as it did at the start.  I will report back after each long distance walk as to how its faring. Its a carefully made high quality product and I suspect it will last a long time even with my rough handling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment