Thursday 3 September 2015

Gear Review- EasyAcc Power Pack

West Highland Way, Scotland
  I contacted easyacc in the hope that they would support me by providing an external battery for my 1200 mile charity walk from Land's End to John o'Groats. I planned to navigate by using GPS and ViewRanger maps, all of which are on my phone. Without power I would be lost in a matter of minutes. I was also using my phone to take photos and update my blog on a daily basis- the phone has a eight hour battery life when using GPS. I planned to wild camp at least a third of the time I needed a reliable power source that would last two to three days.
  They provided me with EasyAcc 2nd Gen. Classic 15600mAh Power Bank-
MaterialPC+ABS
Dimension159*63*24 (mm)
OutputDC 5V/2.1A (max)
InputDC 5V/2A
Weight339 (g)
Battery cellLithium-ion
Power15600 (mAh)
Product CertificationCE FCC RoHS

 







  My EasyAcc battery was used consistently over 72 days hiking. It was exposed to the outdoors and dropped a number of times on tarmac, mud and damp dank marsh lands and never faultered. It charges my Sony Xperia z2 about three and a half times. This number of charges did not alter through out the walk even with constant usage. It has two plugs so you can charge a few things at once. It doesn't allow you to charge the battery from devises while it is itself charging and be warned it does take around five to six hours to charge the power pack. Best is to leave it overnight. For those who have old fashioned Ipod classics- it wont charge it. Its worth noting, though, that a lot of modern chargers are too powerful to charge the old ipods and its not a problem unique to this device. I had to stop and buy myself a really cheap charger at Asda which did the job brilliantly. 
Wild camping along the Shropshire Way
  While a little heavy for hiking it would be perfect for everyday life, and even hiking it makes every ounce count. I remained charged the entire way. I went three of four days once without seeing a plug socket, and when I knew a campsite wasn't far off I had enough power to watch several episodes of Buffy in my tent. Moreover, its a black brick that looks like an internet port, whose going to steal it? I left it in toilets, on shelves and in garages as it charged over night without a problem. It fits in my pocket while I walk so I can charge my devices on the move and is tough enough to take the occasional pump when I forgot and pulled my phone out too fast. Its a brilliant piece of kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment