Saturday 7 February 2015

Hiking and Wilderness Films and Documentaries

   Below is a list of films I've seen over the last few years which inspire me to plan my next journey, or soothe my withdraw in winter when its too cold to camp out. Will add to this as I find new ones. They are in no particular order:


Wild (2014) 7.3/10  IMBD Rating
A chronicle of one woman's 1,100-mile solo hike undertaken as a way to recover from a recent catastrophe. (115 mins.)

  I rather love this film but I'm not sure how much you would unless you've experienced some of the things she did while hiking. The aching feet, trail food and the suspicions that your completely over you're head and on the ledge are captured perfectly. Reese Witherspoon is wonderful, and captured the spirit of the novel. A few characters and events in the book are left out of the film, things are moved around a little but the essence is there and the film shines through as the books equal. Its largely about Cheryl Strayed spiritual journey, and while I was captivated by her story, what I adored was watching the physical aspects of the hike and the scenery she past through. All this on top of a good script, good directing and atmospheric music makes a must see film for any outdoor enthusiast.


Tracks (2013)

A young woman goes on a 1,700-mile trek across the deserts of West Australia with four camels and her faithful dog. (112 mins.)
Director: John Curran

  7.2/10  

   This woman is very different from Cheryl Strayed in 'Wild'. Her need for solitude stems from a loss of faith in other people rather than a loss of faith in herself. The film explored more the environment she goes through, the state of mind she's in and the political and social debates surrounding the aborigine people and their territories in 1970s Australia.  You see her tired and sunburned but at no point does the film focus on the physicality of the expedition.  Neither does it try to make her too likeable or open character, which is something I like. Its an intriguing film and well worth a watch. The moment I finished it I began the book.
127 Hours (2010)
    7.7/10  
A mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive. (94 mins.)
Director: Danny Boyle


   Out of all the films this is probably the most artistically shot and creative. I watched it the first time on the steps outside the kibbutz dorm . I needed to since I shared a room with two other girls and didn't want to disturb them as I shouted and screamed at the screen. Never will you feel more involved in a characters plight. The story plot it well known and I watched it expecting a dark and gritty film . In fact, while everything bad you know is going to happen is gone through with gory and excruciating artistry, your left feeling incredibly optimistic about life. Like a lot of these films its focus isn't pain and disaster but the strength of will and drive to survive of the main character. James Franco performed exquisitely and the music, and affects all serve to make a poetic and poignant film


Walking the Nile (2015 TV Series)
  10/10  
Documentary about Ex-soldier and explorer Levison Wood who embarks on a quest to walk the entire length of the River Nile.
Director: Jamie Berry
Stars: Levison Wood


  Watched this last night...quite incredible a person and project. The pure determination really inspires you, plus makes any poultry adventure you have planned look doable no matter how hard you struggle to complete it. The millage this man covers! Well shot, informative and a wonderfully nonjudgmental open look at the people that live around the Nile. Through his journey you see the generosity and intricacy of different cultures, as well as the strife and horrors which war torn countries are faced with. Levison Wood came across as the most open, patient and energetic travel companion I've ever seen in my life. At no point during thirty mile plus days did he seem to turn on anyone. Half way through the desert I would have been horrible to whom ever came close. I found him charming, engaging and funny. Really blown away by the entire series and can't way to read the book- although I might save it for when I go on my next long walk. And he listens to audiobooks when he walks!!!! My kind of chap.  
The Way (2010)
    7.4/10  
A father heads overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the "El camino de Santiago," and decides to take the pilgrimage himself. (123 mins.)
Director: Emilio Estevez

    The Way is a sweet film but as far as filmography, originality and script its not in the same league as the ones above. I love Martin Sheen and all the other characters are believable and charming but there's nothing much more to it and my affection for the film stems from the fact that the plot follow the characters through Spain on foot. It has made me put Camino de Santiago on my to do list and captures the feel and vibrancy of the pilgrimage.

 
5. Mile... Mile & a Half (2013 Documentary)
  8/10  
In an epic snow year, five friends leave their daily lives behind to hike California's historic John Muir Trail... (87 mins.)


Stunning footage and nicely edited with care and love taken with the details. A lovely documentary for hikers. While I would never have the strength to drag all that equipment with me when I go out walking watching this I was tempted. The people walking it are likeable, and seem wonderfully inclusive. I'd love to encounter them on a trail.
Cast Away (2000)
    7.7/10  
A FedEx executive must transform himself physically and emotionally to survive a crash landing on a deserted island. (143 mins.)
Director: Robert Zemeckis

  Everyone knows this film, and a review seems a tad unneeded. Tom Hanks is great and while its more about survival than adventure it still stimulated the imagination. Its a wonderfully silent film, the lack of music and speech serves to emphasize his isolation and loveliness. Tom Hank's transformation through the film is believable and captivating. Every year or so I find myself watching it at least once.
Touching the Void (2003 Documentary)
    8.1/10  
The true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985. (106 mins.)
Director: Kevin Macdonald

   I read 'Touching the Void' quite recently and Joe Simpson had me wrapped in a duvet in defense. The tension and  descriptive nature of the narration had me instantly. After I'd finished I both wanted to climb a mountain and stay as far as I could from them. The film/documentary isn't the books equal but its beautifully done and allows you to understand and visualize his experiences the better. Part of me wanted an Americanized version, camera up close in an actors face but it would have lacked the honesty and grittiness of these reenactments and interviews. It does, as the book, come across as a wonderful defense of Simon Yates, and an expression of the friendship and loyalty they have for one another.

Into the Wild (2007)
    8.2/10  
After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life. (148 mins.)
Director: Sean Penn

  This is a film which made me so so cross, and simultaneously sad. I find the main character naive, indulgent and self absorbed. I suspect people watch this in a variety of perspectives. I saw this journey through his mothers eyes and felt her pain and sense of abandonment, I also felt that he was the cause. This prejudiced me against the entire film although I confess its flawlessly shot and scripted- I appreciate that its a beautifully made film that drew really strong emotions from me but I plan to avoid any re-watching. If nothing else it serves as a reminder to really prep, not be too full hardy, and for god sake tell people where your going.
Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
    7.2/10  
A Swiss family must survive being shipwrecked on a deserted island. (126 mins.)
Director: Ken Annakin

  Who didn't love this while growing up? The girl disguised as a boy, the pirates and the instantly tame assortment of animals which surrounded them. Even now it is a charming film which makes you want to build a tree house and live in the midst of the woods.
The Snow Walker (2003)
    7.4/10  
A pilot and his passenger struggle for survival after crashing in the Arctic tundra. (103 mins.)

  This film holds the quiet intensity of Tracks, as well as the conflict and relationship between the 'civilized' world and the natives' more 'primitive'. By placing a racist and self serving pilot in the middle of a foreign and fierce environment the viewer learns to appreciate a different type of society where the value of the education receives is altered by what environment they are in. The learned pilot becomes as vulnerable and ignorant as a child while her skills allow them t survive. The relationship between the two main characters is stunning, and subtle. Its another gritty survival film, a drama rather than an adventure, but I love it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment