Thursday 16 April 2015

Day 1 of 3- Wilmslow to Whaley Bridge

Campsite -Whaley Bridge

Finally got out the house and went for a proper hike. Back home now but am writing this on my phone to practice before this summer's longer hike.

I'm sharing my #hiking trip with you. Total distance 28.3km, http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTU0MjA1MA== . Via @ViewRanger

This hike goes from my doorstep in Wilmslow along the river Bollin to Presbury, and up to White Nancy overlooking Bollington. From White Nancy I dip down to the edge of Bollington and back up and along the outer edge of the Lyme Park estate before splitting down to Whaley Bridge. The distance is around 28 kms and there will be at least two steep climbs. The first ten kilometres however are flat and should allow me to break myself in.
Along the river Bollin valley

  The walk along the river Bollin is quite a plain but today was broken up with an incredible amount of lambs. This also kept me alert as I was conscious of getting between any mother and her babe.
  After Presbury it's a rather ugly section around the business site and across the road. Once through Presbury it's under the railway and across yet another golf course. The climb up to white Nancy was the first tough stint but mainly because I was completely out of practice. The top made it worth it and you're flung straight from the plains into the moors.
White Nancy

  Grumbling to myself I started the descent from White Nancy, aware all the while that it would mean an even steeper climb up. On a few occasions I collapsed and pretended to admire the view. Finally onto I recognized I was back at Lyme Park.
  Here I found a tractor on top of a giant pile of blue stuff. Any one have a clue what it was?
  All down hill now to Whaley Bridge and the campsite. The man who let me in was nice enough as was the rest of the people I met but I can't recommend the place for campers. The hill is very very steep to camp on and the showers are more of a warmish trickle. If they charged only a little it would be fine but they charged £7.50 which is higher than a lot of better campsites.
Crossing the fields over Whaley Bridge towards the campsite
  What made it slightly more vexing is I'd not packed a lighter for the camp stove and was left which another hour walking down into town and back. I spent the entire way down thinking of chocolate. This thought was quickly satisfied by a lot of naughty foods I'd told myself I'd avoid eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment