Friday 17 April 2015

Day 2 of 3 Whaley Bridge to Crowden

  Aware I had a tough day ahead I woke early enough to be gone by half eight, my route planned out and as direct as I could make it. I still had a scramble through the moors over New Mill before the serious climb up to the high peaks. The Snake path goes straight past Kinder reservoir from Hayfield to the Black Moor and the Pennine way. Then it's on the flagstones all the way to the A57 and up to the mists of Bleak Head.
  The day started misty and a little bleak, but good weather for walking. My legs seemed to be keeping up well and the first ten kilometres went past easy enough.  Paused to much on the inclines and didn't maintain too good a rhythm but I think that the major problem there is fitness.
Kinder Reservoir

  Past the Kinder Reservoir the real climb begins and I'd have struggled even more than I did if it wasn't for a group of Duke of Edinburgh setting the pase. There were dozens of them around the place.
Path leading back to Jacobs descent

  Once on the Pennine way I buckled up for the incoming rain and set a good speed across the plains. The climb up to Bleak Head which seemed to take forever, and with the weather pressing in it was hard hard work.


  The descent seemed to take even longer and it's was with great relief that I got out of the mists. Then it's across the reservoirs and along the road to the Crowden campsite.
Decent to Crowden
  This campsite is great, quiet and flat. They have a dry room, great showers and a lovely little shop. Also three pounds cheaper than Whaley Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment