Wednesday 1 July 2015

Day 58 - Inverarnan to Bridge of Orchy 18.5 Miles

  There are some advantages to been surrounded solely by hikers, every one else get up early and
there is no need to fear waking your neighbor. I was, however, much more practiced at packing up and rejoined the trail alone, for a time at any case. The path is wide and stony, flat until you reach Sheep Creep and cross over the A82. You dip under the road and begin a rather rough climb up through Breadalbane, skirting the ridge over Crianlarich and heading north west towards Auchtertyre. On this section I was accompanied by an ex police officer. Without a heavy backpack however I couldn't keep up and elected to have a break, walking the rest of the way to Tyndrum alone.
  A lot of today was a little dull, quite 


Three temporary companions on the road to Bridge of Orchy
  Tyndrum is yet another town whose shops and cafes are designed to cater for the masses of hikers which travel through, not very character filled but efficient. I had a very tasty soup and roll in a canteen style cafe before wondering through the outdoor shops in search for stove gas and snacks. Most people stopped here for the night so the next section was much clearer, the slopes gentle with the landscape opening up around me. The path follows a railway track for several miles, stunning slopes on either side all the way to Bridge of Orchy.  I began to talk to three guys on this road, a rather fun bunch who were overtaking me.
Wild camp over the hills around Bridge of Orchy

View from the tents flap
    Unsure where I wanted to camp I decided to stop before the town, the slopes seeming to have a series of plateaus with little creeks flowing down the slopes. It wouldn't take much of a climb to be out of sight with a stunning view and running water. I trudged up thirty or so meters before settling for a place where I could be pretty sure no one bellow would see. I pitched and suddenly felt on top of the world, the tent elevated high enough to keep away the midges.
After soaking my feet in the stream I simply sat and enjoyed the peace a solitude, eating the dry packed risotto and my daily supply of vitamin C soluble tablets.
  Wild camping remains daunting to me, but they also remain the
best nights on the trail when I felt the most free and strong. The soil here was nearly as wet as last night but the moss covered the worst and my tent, this time, was placed with a lot more care. My EasyAcc battery charged my phone so I was ready for the next day, and sitting back I read my book with the flap open and the Scottish Highlands at my feet.
https://www.givey.com/c/girlgoeshiking

No comments:

Post a Comment