Friday 10 July 2015

Day 67- Ardjachile to Dornoch 6 miles

  I woke up this morning feeling stiff, but more than that, fed up and hard done by. The fact that I was having a fantastic experience that few get to enjoy, seen some of the prettiest parts of the country, didn't matter. The world was obviously out to get me and I hated it back in kind. This actually means one simple thing: I really needed a day off as I'm turning more and more unreasonable. Unless you're Levinson Wood or other real explorers 280 miles without a day off it a tall order.
Dornoch Firth Bridge
    Today's walk only took two and a half hours. It was exactly what was needed, a quick jaunt across Dornoch Firth Bridge, followed by another side lane all the way to Dornoch. Again there is very little to describe. It was an easy stroll along a deserted track with the Firth to my right behind flat and bleak looking sand dunes and wooded moorland my left. One thing that did bring a smile to my face was the first sign for John o'Groats, only 88 miles to go!  
John o'Groats 85 miles!!!

  I tried Dornoch Caravan and Campsite first but been told it was £11 fee I left not too graciously. Within a few hours however I'd come to realize that it was in fact the only site within a few miles of the town. In the end, after spending even more money in a cafe, I sheepishly returned and payed for the next two nights. 
  My first impressions of the campsite were dismal, the man behind the counter looked high on weed and the cloudy sky made the whole place look dull and depressing. After I'd settled in a little, washed and relaxed I realized it was an unjust judgement. While it's expensive this does include showers, a tv room (to watch the tennis) and free internet which stretched across the entire campground. Moreover the camping area is quite sheltered with the beach barely two hundred meters behind. Even the people behind the counter became friendlier as I got to know them. It seemed, to me, a very well run family campsite.  
Dornoch Caravan and Camping Site
 Once I requested to watch the tennis a man came to mend the TV. I still caught the start of the match and was quite happy to sit alone in the room. The expense of the campsite is more than mediated by been able to sit for three sets without having to buy a drink- like I would have had to in a pud. When Federer thrashed Murray I actually felt relieved rather than disappointed: I'd watching the final between Federer and Djokovic if I could but it was no longer imperative and I could enjoy the next few days. If I passed a pub at the right time I'd drop in, otherwise I'd simply carry on and look at the score after. Murray would win next year.
  The rest of the day was spent lounging around and eating, I'd popped into town to buy some food but didn't look round at all as I'd have the whole of the next day to do so. Early to bed I revelled in the idea that I could sleep in as long as I liked tomorrow. The campsite was silent and I fell asleep easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment