Wednesday 8 July 2015

Day 65- Bunchrew to Dingwall 18 miles

Entering Inverness, Kessick Bridge in the distance
 Another tennis day- not that many to go and I'm relieved. I swear they drain me to the bone as I rush through the day trying to get to camp in time to watch the bloody boy play. Murray is due on court at mid afternoon against Pospisil (someone I know nothing about)and Wawrinka is playing Gasquet just after. I am aware that this is not why people read hiking blogs but as a summary of my day these are the key points I remember. The walk on the other hand was unmemorable. You follow the A862 from Bunchrew to Inverness along the River Ness. Its a narrow road not designed to be walked and at one point I chose to balance on the wall instead of the road. On one side there was a two meter drop to the shores of the river and on the other cars whizzing past a few feet below.
  Once through Inverness, which I only skirted, and across Kessick Bridge. I'd finally reached the A9 which would take me most of the rest of the way to John o'Groats. The bridge is an impressive structure from afar but walking across it wasn't very pleasant, the sides high, traffic loud and litter all over the place. After is road walking all the way to Bingwall. Most goes along the old highway, a very quiet side road now ignored my all but those who live alone it. It meant I could tune out and trudge along. My back was hurting today and the arch of my food seemed to be having trouble. It didn't help that I refused to allow myself a break, forcing a pace I'm not used to in order to reach Bingwall in time.
  At Tore I crossed the A9 to follow the A825 towards Conon Bridge and the River Conon. The last
stretch to Dingwall on the western side of the River Conon is only a few miles more, flat and paved. At Dingwall I found a pub which provided me with the tennis and ordered some food. I'd missed the start of the match but due to a rain delay I still had two sets to watch. Murray made relatively easy work of it but Wawrinka struggled which upset me as I needed him in the next round to beat on Djokovic a while. Wawrinka seems to have Djokovic's number and if he can tire him out before the final Murray might stand a chance. Unfortunately Wawrinka failed.
  Dingwall campsite was another Camping and Caravan Club site which meant a very reasonable fee and good standards through out. There were also a few signs of Land's End to John o'Groats cyclists, out routes finally meeting again for the first time. I watched one cyclist in reception sat with his chest thrown out with pride boasting of his journey so far, I wonder if that is how I appear at times, I do hope not. That said he cycled it which in my mind takes a lot more fitness, or at least a very different type of fitness and one I haven't got. He started under two weeks ago, it staggering how quicker it is and makes me appreciate just how long I have been going.
  The next few days would be an awkward affair and for no other reason than the fact that the men's semi finals was on Friday and I'd quit the walk rather than miss Murray playing Federer- probably an over exaggeration but only by a little. I also needed a day off badly, my last one had been in Peeble: after 13 days walking and 250 miles covered my body was complaining in earnest. Yet I couldn't have tomorrow off as well as Friday to watch the tennis. Tomorrow I'd carry on walking, cover as much distance as I could towards Dornoch so that the next day I'd only have a few miles to walk before camping. If I could reach Dornoch my lunchtime I'd have most of that day off as well as the whole of the next to potter around and do as little as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment