Friday 29 May 2015

Day 25- Kington to Hopton Castle Woods 21 miles

  I seemed to have woken up on the wrong side of the tent today, the idea of doing the 12 1/2 miles to Knighton was daunting when it should have been an easy jaunt. The rain was part of it,  I woke late to the sound of constant and heavy rain. I didn't want to be wet and instantly felt fed up and listless. I even considered just taking another day off but after only one day waking since my last one?
Rain still falling on the plains

  It took me an hour and a half to pack up and finally leave the place. A quick trot through town, my hood tight around my face in an attempt to keep the rain from my face, and I was back on the trail. It's an instant climb back out of the valley, and through farm land full of sheep. Eating biscuits while gasping for air I finally made it up the slope and onto higher ground's. The rain eased eventually mildly improving my mood.

  I think the main problem was I'd someone psyched myself out, and I struggled through a day no harder than yesterday's. In the end I defended through the golf course to Knighton exhausted and really worried I'd fall. I found a cafe and ordered something to eat while I considered what to do. I could take the day easy, it was only four and rest up for the following day or push through now, ignore the schedule, and walk back my confidence. The second won over and I walked away from Offa's Dyke and north east towards the Pennines. This meant I'd have to wild camp that night but Hopton Castle looked like a possibility seven or or miles away.
View back to Knighton from Holloway Rocks

 The moment I was out of town, wearing my sandals not boots now, I felt better and more energetic. This was fortunate as the climb up Holloway Rocks was quite steep with enough nettles to leave me yelping. The cows seemed to leave me be though, and give new extra speed through their fields. Once I got back to the moors I felt a burst of joy at the freedom of waking with no destination. It was exciting and walking on was struck by the beauty of dusk.
Dusk just before entering Hopton Castle wood
  I entered Hopton Castle woods at ninish hoping to find somewhere I camp. It's a mountain bike forest with dirt tracks everywhere and tall pines looking above. 400 metres high it would be the highest camp so far. In the end I found the perfect campsite, sheltered from the path and soft.
The ground was a foot deep in moss and I predicted a very comfy night. Once set up I climbed straight into bed and tried to go to sleep. The wood was a little intimidating but once the tent was zipped up i felt safe. Comfy yes but on this particular night bloody freezing. I sleep in hour intivals, waking with the shivers but still a great day.
View of camp from the path


No comments:

Post a Comment