Saturday 30 May 2015

Day 26- Hopton Castle to Wall Under Wye 18 miles

Morning light on camp in Hopton Castle Woods
Haven slimmed today's millage by seven
miles I was much more relaxed with setting off from camp, leaving at 8:30 and finding my way through the maze of bike trails back down onto the plains. Once through
Hopton Castle Woods
you join onto Park lane and follow it for 4 or so miles all the way to the town Craven Arms. Here I stopped and ordered myself a decent cooked breakfast even though it was lunchtime.  Then you join the Shropshire Way along the Wenlock Ridge. Having found a kind person to refill my water in Strefford, just after Craven Arms, I was ready for the last stretch to Wall Under Wye and the fabulous Brook Farm Campsite.


  Wenlock Ridge continues for thirty miles, a forested ridge on the middle of the plains and is lovely if undramatic. More importantly, once you've climbed to reach it, the path is flat and easy.  I reached the camp by six and was greeted by a wonderful couple who made me some tea. We talked for a while before they showed me round their campsite. The
lawn here is fit for Wimbledon, not a daisy or weed in site. The whole place is not only clean and well presented but has a feel of a home and of been loved. The bathrooms are roomy, clean and house strong showers.
There's nothing to complain about. I fell in love with the place and the atmosphere created even though there were only three or four occupants in the field.
 I made friends with two caravan people and having been invited spent a lovely evening with them and their dogs drinking copious amounts of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment