Saturday 9 May 2015

Day 5- Holywell to Treyarnon 18 miles

  I woke at five and conceived a cunning plan. For the last five days I'd packed up my tent covered in either rain or condensation. This morning I'd take the top off and hang it to dry while packing up the rest of my things. The clouds didn't deter me since they'd held off during the night. I peeled the top off and began to pack. What a mistake... the rain was obviously waiting for me. It took me two hours to pack my things. It would have taken me less but the heavens had decided to fall. By the time the tent was shoved in the bag it was a very long way from dry.
  I lifted the backpack onto my shoulders and the rain stopped, the sun came out and skies cleared. This did not improve my mood. Grumbling and thoroughly put out I began the walk. I crossed over Holywell Bay Campsite, and a few field paths inland to Newquay. Here I found a lovely hippy style cafe where I bought a bacon sandwich and cup of tea for £3.  Sat outside enjoying the sun I discovered my water proof boots were not exactly waterproof. It turns out a wet field is enough to leave them dripping. Since they were giving me blisters I decided to try wearing my sandals for the actual walk. Worried for my ankles I'd not tried them till now for any actual walking. It was an incredible discovery. My feet stopped aching. They didn't get damp so the soles didn't soften, and the occasional puddles are refreshing, even the mud seemed to cool them off pleasantly.
Looking back at Newquay
Newquay fading into the horizon

  Once I got my rhythm back and finally escaped the towns perimeters I enjoyed easy high cliff tops all the way to Treyarnon. It must have been one of the prettier days so far, if slightly crowded with Saturday walkers. Nearer Treyarnon I past five groups of Duke of Edinburgh students, all bent studiously over their maps, but few other hikers.

  Treyarnon Campsite was rather pricey at £8, and nearly half a bloody mile in length, but it had its good points- power sockets been one of them. I ended up washing my clothes in the shower and drying them in the laundry room.  While I waited for the machine to complete its cycle I hung around watching Castaway on my phone. Tom Hanks seemed to be having a much harder time than me and I, once the washing was complete and I retired,  enjoyed it throughout curled up in my sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment