Sunday 31 May 2015

Day 27- Wall Under Wye to Monk's Woods 23.5 miles

Used quarry on the edge of Wenlock Ridge
 In the morning I headed straight back up to Wenlock Ridge and stayed there for the next few miles until Much Wenlock. From here it's a long series of lanes and hamlets to the rather muddy Benthall Edge Wood
Iron bridge
before a Iron Bridge. Today, because it was Sunday, the whole place was packed and I felt rather ridiculous in my smelly gear. It was quite a while since I have had a chance to do some laundry. The actual Iron Bridge was lovely, and the town was pretty enough but touristy. I walked along the left bank in the hope a laundromat might materialise. It did not and I continued on through Kemberton farmland and on towards Tong. It was today I really can't to realise just how Christian a county I'm in. Before you see the town you see a church spire. I must pass at least five or six churches daily and they are always old wonderful buildings which, when build, would have towered over the surrounding houses. 
Crossing the River Severn

  In the end my camp tonight was less than ideal. There was nowhere far from people houses, and the best I could do was tuck myself into a dipped corner of a field of crops on the edge of Monk's Woods. I made sure to stay well away from the plants, jamming myself into the lumpiest camp so far. The farm machinery had created great grooves in the soil but it was a warm night and I was shattered. I cooked myself some porridge, which was horrible, and climbed into bed. Twice machine sounds gave me heart attacks and visions of angry farmers but I was left unnoticed and undisturbed. A dog barked at one point and sounded distressed for long enough to get me out of my tent to search for it but I couldn't find it and it soon stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment