Friday 5 June 2015

Day 32- Pomeroy to Edale 16 miles

Looking down into Hope Valley from Hollins Cross
  With the planned route abandoned I spent some time pouring over the map before settling for a route. I needed to find a town before Edale in order to buy food as well as withdraw some money. Having been through nothing but hamlets since Uttoxeter I had nothing to eat today and little money, moreover the Pennine Way would not go through any town of note for days. In the end I diverted so I'd go through Castleton. Most of the day would be spent on either the Midshire Way, Limestone Way or the Pennine Bridleway; at times you're walking two at the same time.
  I started out well, excited about getting to Edale and surrendering myself to another long distance trail for the next two or so weeks. Within the first hour I found a small campsite shop in Blackwell where I bought some chocolate bars, biscuits and an icecream. After another brief climb you descend into Miller's Dale Nature Reserve.
Lime Kiln
Here you join the Monsal Trail for a short period through a rather wonderful valley showing the history of kiln burning and lime production that would have dominated the area between 1880-1944. The path goes along the disused Ashbourne to Buxton railway track, now converted to a walking and cycling path.
  After barely a mile you head north, out of the valley, and join the Pennine Bridleway again through farm lands and small country lanes. I passed yet another group of Duke of Edinburgh students bent over their map while half lay collapsed on the side of the road. I'd been climbing steadily for some time, easy enough walking but it was with some relief that I started to descend into Carleton. It was already 1:00 which meant I had, if the match started on schedule, only an hour to get to Edale, set pitch and find a pub who'd show the tennis. Murray vs Djokovic in the French Open is worth rushing for.
Path down to Castleton
  The path to Castleton is horribly steep and half under water. A shallow steam flows down over it, not deep enough to get your feet wet, but I was still left worried about slipping. The rocks looming on either side of me were imposing structures, tall rock faces housing ruins and caves.
  The town itself was packed with tourists but held the necessary post office for money withdraw and general shop for food. I bought myself a cold spinach and ricotta
Climbing up Hollins Cross
pie for lunch before heading further north towards Edale, up over Hollins Cross. This path had been used to move deceased Edale inhabitants over the mountain to the Castleton graveyard, no mean feet when at its height the mountains 426 metres tall. I struggled up it and down with only my own carcass inn tow. Over in Edale I set up camp within ten minutes and walked the two or so hundred metres up hill to the Old Nags Head which not only had good WiFi but sky TV. Once a large
Old Nags Head, official start of the Pennine Way
group of male walkers cleared out I had a perfect spot to watch my boy fight. The weather delay meant the match would be finished tomorrow but it
Bit of Hebrew on a post in Edale, any one translate?
was still a treat and I felt inspired. Wimbledon will be fun, I'll have to schedule my walking to Murray's matches, won't miss this years tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment