Thursday 4 June 2015

Day 31- Swinscoe to Pomeroy 14 miles

  Today was wonderfully simple, I changed the route completely last night after deciding to walk all of the Pennine Way. It's the Pennine way's 50th anniversary and it would only involve one more day for me walk it's entirety.
  The first part of the day is a walk through field, down a few lanes until you reach Tissington Hall. The road goes through the grounds and walking it I soon found I was been tailed by a herd of bored cows. I sensed no aggression so carried on, felt a little like Forest Gump been followed while running.

Tissington Hall grounds
  Once through Tissington you're on the cycle path and you can switch your brain off for the next four so five hours. The cycle path was dull but pleasant, not tarmac thank God but my feet still began to feel it after a while. The path is also very slight  up hill the entire way, not enough to get you out of breath but enough to tire you over several hours. There was also a complete lack of other walkers. Plenty of cyclists whizzed past, most with the appearance of holiday goers rather then commuters. All bikese were on hybrids or mountain bikes.
Tissington Trail
  It didn't take too long till I was past Biggin, three or so hours from where I settled last night. Further on I took a break at a small side shop and cycle hire building in the hamlet Parsley. Since I desperately needed to take money out I had only a can of coke, but took the chance to sit and change into my sandals. Then I was back up and walking. The path from here only has half a dozen more miles till the end of the trail and there were few bikes. People must rent from the shop and go south where the path extends for miles longer.
  I climbed off the path early in search for a cash point, by this point I had only a few quid and since most campsites only took cash I was worried. As it turns out the little symbols on the map I took to be petrol stations were in fact a pint glass symbolising pubs. No cash machine anywhere. Buxton was only another five or so miles away and I considered carrying on but after checking on the possible campsites I found none under £15 which seemed ridiculous. A lot of sites have a standard charge for two adults and a tent but nothing on the list for a single hiker without a car. Pomeroy campsite however was only £5 so I phoned from its doorstep to check they took card. A kind man said they did and I could pay in the morning before I left.
  It was a nice campsite with huge and expensive looking showers obviously build recently, underfloor heating and a dozen sinks. After a shower I was upset to find there was also had a bath, something I'd not have missed if I'd known.

No comments:

Post a Comment